Haddock Fish Cakes:
- 1 onion, cut in 1/4 inch, dice (1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, cut in 1/4 inch, dice (1 cup)
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound haddock or other firm white fish fillet
- 2 1/2-3 cups coarse bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil for cooking fish cakes
- Lemon wedges (optional)
In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs and remaining ingredients except the cooking oil. Add fish to mixture. The texture should be firm, but moist. If it is not firm enough to form cakes, add a small amount more of breadcrumbs. Chill fish mixture, covered, for at least one hour or as long as overnight.
Form 1/2 cup measurements of the fish cake mixture and form into round cakes. Brush a skillet with cooking oil and cook fish cakes about 2 minutes on each side (or until golden brown) over medium heat. Serve warm with lemon wedges.
Makes 8 fishcakes.
Chilled Raspberry Soup:
- 1 pint fresh or frozen raspberries
- l pound fresh peaches, destoned and skinless, or frozen
- 1 pint orange juice, preferably fresh
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor except the orange juice. Start pureeing by gradually adding the orange juice until the fruit is completely liquefied. Serve in chilled glasses or bowls with a dab of sour cream and a sprig of fresh mint, if possible.